A famous picture painted by Warner Sallman is entitled, Christ at Heart’s Door. Sallman completed this painting in 1942. Many churches and some homes can be found with this painting hanging within them. There is much symbolism found within the painting. Take a moment to study the image here. Then respond to the following questions:
- What do you notice missing? Why may it not be there?
- What shape can be found created with the light and architecture?
- Why are there blooms on some of the stems and some have no blooms?
- What is noticeable about Jesus’s hand? Does that communicate anything to you?
- Why might Sallman have chosen to include the plants which he did?
- What change would you make to the painting in view of Jesus’s heritage?
- The imagery in this picture is to communicate a message. How would you articulate the message?