I am trying out a new devotional format for today. Please give me feedback regarding how you feel about this format versus others which I have used.
Recommended process to follow:
- Find a quiet place and spend a short time calming your heart and mind.
- Pray to the Lord and ask that the Lord would open your heart and mind to hear and understand.
- Respond to the opening questions.
- Read the passage.
- Respond to the questions
- Read the passage again.
- Finish in prayer
- What gives authority to a person’s words?
- Who have you heard that has amazed you? Why?
Read Mark 1:21-28
21 They went to Capernaum, and when the Sabbath came, Jesus went into the synagogue and began to teach. 22 The people were amazed at his teaching, because he taught them as one who had authority, not as the teachers of the law. 23 Just then a man in their synagogue who was possessed by an impure spirit cried out, 24 “What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!”
25 “Be quiet!” said Jesus sternly. “Come out of him!” 26 The impure spirit shook the man violently and came out of him with a shriek.
27 The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, “What is this? A new teaching—and with authority! He even gives orders to impure spirits and they obey him.” 28 News about him spread quickly over the whole region of Galilee.Mark 1:21-28 (NIV)
- How does Capernaum play an important role in Jesus’ ministry?
- What pattern in Jesus’ ministry do we see demonstrated here?
- How is Jesus’ teaching different from the accustomed teachings which the people heard?
- In what way would we describe evil spirits today?
- Why would Jesus silence the man?
- What caused amazement in the people?
- How does Jesus amaze you?